With the start of the SHOT Show being less than two weeks away, a number of new products are being released to the public. As these releases become public, I'll be doing a series of pre-release posts on these new products. I should point out that I haven't been made privy to any of the new products by their manufacturers before their release and have signed no non-disclosure agreement. So if someone slips up and the word gets out early, I'll try to report it.
In that vein, Ruger will be releasing a new version of their SR1911 pistol. It will be a Lightweight Commander that will feature an aluminum alloy frame. According to the post on it by Richard Johnson at Guns, Holsters, and Gear, the pistol will weigh a mere 29.3 ounces. This is a reduction of over 6 ounces from the original steel-framed SR1911 Commander.
Ruger, itself, has not posted anything about the pistol on its website. Given they are a public company, announcements on new products are usually made there as it would be material information. I'm guessing this is one that slipped out a little early.
Ruger will be one of the exhibitors at Media Day at the Range so hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot this one.
UPDATE: Ruger has now officially released the SR1911 Lightweight Commander. A list of its features is below: The titanium feed ramp mentioned below is to facilitate feeding of hollow-point bullets.
- Classic, original 1911 Series 70 design.
- Lightweight, anodized aluminum frame.
- Polished titanium feed ramp.
- Precision CNC-controlled machining process results in a superior slide-to-frame fit and smooth slide travel.
- The stainless steel barrel and bushing are produced from the same bar stock, on the same machine, for improved accuracy.
- Positive barrel lock-up allows for superior accuracy out of the box.
- Oversized ejection port and extended magazine release enhance competition performance.
- Thin hardwood grip panels, checkered backstrap and front strap serrations.
- Lightweight, aluminum, skeletonized trigger features an adjustable over-travel stop and provides a very crisp, no creep, light trigger pull with a quick, positive reset.
- Skeletonized hammer is lightweight and provides faster cycling.
- Dovetailed, high-visibility 3-dot sight system features a Novak® LoMount Carry, windage adjustable rear and standard front sights that combine optimal target acquisition and an ideal carry configuration.
- Oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability.
- Extended thumb safety and slide stop lever for improved, positive manipulation.
- Integral plunger tube for slide stop and thumb safety is not staked and will never come loose.
- Features a standard recoil guide system and flat mainspring housing.
- Visual inspection port allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.
- Rear slide serrations allow for positive grip.
- Accepts all standard, aftermarket 1911 parts and accessories.
- Also Includes: swaged link pin; titanium firing pin; two stainless steel magazines; bushing wrench; soft case.