Friday, February 3, 2017

World's Best Dentist


When you go to the dentist to get a crown, you expect to leave with a substantial bill and a numb lip or face. I left with a little something extra.




Little is relative especially when talking about a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel.

And now for the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would have said.

My dentist, Dr. F, is a huge fan of revolvers and he knows I am as well. We always chat about them along with whatever else he or I have either bought or shot lately. After discussing the new Colt Cobra we got around to other revolvers. He noted he had a S&W Model 29 which just wasn't that fun to shoot unlike his Ruger Redhawk. He then asked me if I'd like to try it out. Of course!

Now both the assistant and I thought he probably meant to try it out someday when I met him at the range. That thought was quickly dismissed when he left the room, came back, and then set the Ruger Redhawk above down on the counter! What he meant was that he was going to loan it to me to take home and try out at my own convenience.

Wow!

The funny part of the whole episode was when my appointment was over he just assumed I would be comfortable carrying this massive piece of hardware out through his waiting room as is. His assistant "D" asked would I like a bag and I, of course, said yes. While she was getting a bag, Dr. F. dug around his office and found a case for it.

So Dr. F's Ruger Redhawk is now sitting in my safe while I wait for a box each of .44 Mag and .44 Special ammo to arrive.

As I said in the headline, I have the world's best dentist. Not only is he really good at his profession but he is a gun guy who wants to share the experience. I am one lucky patient.


4 comments:

  1. In Asheville? If only it wasn't an hour away, I'd ask for his number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near Asheville to the west. Over and above him being a gunny, he is an excellent dentist. He graduated first in his class at UNC and has been an adjunct with them.

      Delete
  2. I've had the exact same gun for 32 years now. 0.003" cylinder gap, so reloads with dirty powders like blue dot will cause grain clipping. I have rubber grips but installed a set of Ruger Paine sight inserts (brass bead front, v-notch rear with white line). If I do my part the gun will put six rounds into the end or a soda can at 75 feet all day long. My favorite load is 22 grains of 2400 under a Speer half-jacket 225gr hollow point (no longer available, but I stocked up...). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete