Monday, August 12, 2019

Julie Golob Makes Four


Competitive shooter and NRA Board of Directors member Julie Golob announced today that she had resigned from the Board. She said the decision was the best "for me and my family." Other than that, she did not go into any specifics.

Dear NRA Members,

I gave my notice to NRA President Carolyn Meadows, Secretary John Frazer, and Directors that I have resigned my position on the National Rifle Association Board of Directors.

My intentions in running as well as serving in this volunteer position are directly aligned with the purposes and objectives of the organization. I am proud to have had the opportunity to represent the members of the National Rifle Association but I can no longer commit to fulfilling the duties of a director.

This was not a decision I made lightly. I apologize to those members who have supported me that I will not be completing the full 3-year term. I also feel this is the best decision for me and my family.

I wish the director who fills my vacancy and the rest of the board nothing but success. I will absolutely continue to support the NRA’s programs and sports as a proud benefactor member and active participant in the preservation of freedom.

Sincerely yours,
Julie Golo
b

 Julie was only one of three people I endorsed in 2018 for the Board of Directors. The other two were Tim Knight and Adam Kraut. As covered already, Tim has resigned from the Board and Adam declined the chance to fill one of the open positions. I'm not sure what this says about the power of my endorsements.

We may never know Julie's motivations for leaving the Board and it is her choice to make them known if she so wishes. I do foresee further resignations from the Board especially given the most recent subpoena from Attorney General Letitia James to 90 current and former Board members. If I were an attorney - and I'm not - giving risk management advice to one of the deep-pocketed members of the Board, I'd say you must protect what you've earned and it is time to go. You can still support the organization in other ways but you need to get the heck out of there.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great coverage. I really hope they get their shit together and return to their 2A focus asap. Sadly don't see that happening. I won't be directing any money their way until they do.

    Quick question though. I keep seeing the advice to quit the board to protect assets, but aren't they still on the hook for malfeasance that happened during their tenure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. If they had a good lawyer who showed how they attended meeting, participated, etc., maybe they'd be OK. The key would be to showing they did the three elements of their fiduciary duty - duty of care, duty of loyalty, and duty of obedience. The last isn't obedience to WLP but to laws and regulations. https://trust.guidestar.org/blog/2014/10/17/a-nonprofit-boards-fiduciary-responsibility/

      Delete
  2. Julie's good folks, and this is sad, but not unexpected.

    ReplyDelete