Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Armless Archer Wins Silver In Paralympic Games

A couple of weeks ago I ran a story about Paralympic archer Matt Stutzman. He was born without arms and holds his bow with his foot.

Yesterday, he won the silver medal in individual compound bow at the London Paralympic Games. According to this story in USA Today, the other competing archers were wheelchair bound but had the use of their arms.

From the Herald Sun of Melbourne, Australia:
Maximum scores of 30 are not uncommon for Stutzman and he progressed, as expected, to Monday's final of the individual compound before running into an equally accurate Finn named Jere Forsberg, who won 6-4.

"My goal was to inspire somebody, even if it was just one person, with my positive attitude," Stutzman said.

"Never say never. If I can do this, with no arms, anything is possible.

"I have enjoyed every minute of it. It makes me want to try harder in 2016."

Stutzman came agonisingly close to the gold medal, with Forsberg needing a 10 on his final shot to avoid a one-arrow shoot-off and he released truly.

But the Kanzas City archer said Forsberg was simply better on the day and he held no regrets over the silver medal.

"I was at peace. I shot my shots and it felt good," he said.

"Whatever happened, I was OK with. He's a great shooter and I'm satisfied with the silver.

"I hope that America are proud of me."
I don't think Matt has anything to fear about America being proud of him. 

1 comment:

  1. I AM IN VA AND AS PROUD OF MATT AS ANYONE COULD BE HE SHOWS WHAT PEOPLE AND AMERICANS ARE REALLY MADE OF

    ReplyDelete