Sunday, September 23, 2012

Small Gun Shows

The Complementary Spouse and I trekked up to Micaville to attend the High Country Gun Show. Micaville is about 45 minutes north of Asheville in the shadow of Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak in the eastern United States. It was just the right distance for a Sunday drive.

There is something to said for the smaller gun shows. They are less crowded, the vendors have more time to spend with you, and everything and everybody is just friendlier.

I had a short list of things I was seeking. I was looking for 5.56 and 7.62 stripper clips and spoons, AK-47 steel magazines, and paracord for the Complementary Spouse. I did end up buying 4 AK mags, a handful of 5.56 stripper clips for a nickel each, a box of small rifle magnum primers, a couple of boxes of Yugoslavian 7.62x39 ammo, and 2 Rite in the Rain notebooks. We couldn't find any paracord other than already made-up survival bracelets or any spoons for the stripper clips.

I can't speak for all smaller shows but at least at this one vendors were happy to send you to a competitor if they didn't have what you wanted. That's how I ended up with the AK mags and ammo.

While the High Country Gun Show had lots of handguns, they also had a lot more hunting rifles and shotguns than other shows I've been to recently. They also had some rifles in more unusual calibers such as a gorgeous Winchester Model 70 in .300 Holland and Holland and a Remington 700 in .416 Rem Mag (or maybe .416 Rigby). I also came across a Browning Citori O/U shotgun in 16 gauge. I love 16 gauges and this was a nice one at a good price.

To sum it up, if you get a chance to go to a smaller gun show, take it. I think you'll have a good time.





1 comment:

  1. I am glad to read this post, its an interesting one. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. Thanks
    holland & holland holland & holland rifle holland & holland shotgun holland and holland holland and holland rifle

    ReplyDelete