Friday, February 22, 2013

Back From Charlotte


I spent the last two days in Charlotte attending a regional meeting of my company which explains the light blogging. Anytime I take a trip out of town I try to scope out the local gun shops. This is especially true now in light of the run on guns since Obama was reelected and the Newtown shootings.

On the way down I stopped at the Shooter's Express in Belmont. I had bought my first AR lower there many years ago. I did see a few ARs and AKs in stock plus a decent assortment of handguns. The used rack was a bit sparse. One of the clerks told me that before the rush they had six used racks and now they have one.

I was looking for some reloading supplies and the folks at Shooter's Express suggested Little Hardware which I checked out this afternoon once the meeting ended. What a cool place! It was like the old fashioned hardware store on steroids with a little bit of everything yet better organized. The clerk that helped me told me that they had sold out of most of their reloading supplies. I was looking for powder to reload 5.56x45. Specifically, I was looking for Hodgdon CFE223. I didn't have any luck there. The clerk pulled out a reloading manual and we looked to see if anything would be appropriate. As luck would have it, I found a 1 lb. canister of IMR 8028 XBR which has a great reputation for accurate loads. I also came home with a 500 round box of  148 grain HBWC for my .38 Special.

On my way out of town I dropped in at Lawman's Supply off Clanton Road. Having been there a couple of years ago, I knew they often had a number of police department trade-in pistols. They didn't have anything I really wanted. However, if you are in the market for either a Glock 21 (.45 ACP) or a Springfield XD-9, they had a number available in the $350-360 price range. I'd guess they had about 10 of each.

Finally, I went all yuppie and visited Ikea for the first time ever. It was actually a rather cool place even if I felt like the only conservative in the store. I was looking for the Ordning cutlery canister to use as a bushcraft/hobo stove. I figured for $2.99 how could I lose. The only problem is that I kept finding other stuff that caught my eye like a LED lamp for my desk, some new towels, and some small glasses that I thought would be great for a bourbon tasting.

I'll be back to regular blogging tomorrow. I'm just glad to be back home in the mountains.


5 comments:

  1. Great job you people are doing with this website.
    www.shootingtargets7.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you had let me know you were so close. I could have taken you a bit off the beaten path and we could have shot some stuff at my home range. Little's hardware is a staple! It is a cool place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it the next time I'm heading to Charlotte. This trip was a race in, race out type of trip. I did make exceptions for shopping!

      Delete
  3. John - thanks for sharing the info about Little Hardware. Dad is always looking for new sources for reloading supplies and I've passed this along to him. Keep up the good work. -John K

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete