Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Downside To Being A Neo-Luddite

Since I rarely watch television at home, I don't have either cable or a satellite dish. I dropped cable back in the mid-1990s when I thought I was watching too much TV and not reading enough. Given the rise of the Internet, I really haven't seen a need to change that decision.

However, there are times I wish I did have cable so I could see programs like the one below. I sure wish the Outdoor Channel would make these programs available on a season-long DVD like a lot of other TV producers do.


3 comments:

  1. I wish they would too. Or, at least make the episodes available on Hulu or something similar.

    I also wish it was easy to find a non-DVR recording method for these shows. I miss being able to set my VCR to record shows and amass a library of the episodes. The Outdoor Channel has several programs with good training and shooting tips that I would love to keep longer than the life of the hard drive in my DVR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about putting it on Netflix? I could watch it on my Roku box the same way I watched the first season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a Tivo DVR, they have software available ($24.95) to allow you to offload the recorded programs to a PC for archival or later watching.

    You can also do conversions of them to watch on portable devices, if so inclined...

    This is just one of many reasons Tivo is superior to the cableco's DVR...

    PS: Don't let Cableco talk you out of it -- they're required to provide cable-cards so Tivo will work with their service. My cableco charges me less for the cable-card than they would for the DVR, and the difference pays for the Tivo Service.

    Satellite is a bit more complicated, but still doable from what I read -- I've never done it so this part is based on reading, not experience...

    There are also other options, from a media-PC to "roku-box" (sp?) and others...

    From everything I've read, cableco-DVR is the worst of all options!

    HTH...

    ReplyDelete