Thursday, April 19, 2012

For Buy A Gun Day

I had forgotten about National Buy A Gun Day but one of my local dealers obviously did not. Months ago - at least eight by my count - I had asked him that if he ever got a Ruger SR1911 in stock to give me a call and he did.

I was on my way to the 2012 Annual Meeting in St. Louis but the dealer graciously held it for me until yesterday. I picked it up for $700 plus tax which I thought was quite reasonable. This was the first SR1911 I had seen in the flesh outside of the 2011 Annual Meeting.

You can see the right side of the pistol below. I weighed it with an empty magazine and it comes in at 39.5 ounces. It is a hefty pistol but feels good in the hand.



Here is a picture of the left side. I like how the stainless steel is a low glare finish and that the Ruger on the slide in not obnoxiously large.


I measured the trigger pull with a Timney trigger pull guage and it is consistent at 5.25 pounds.

I field-stripped it tonight and the inside is well finished. I did not see any signs of machining marks or, at least, any that were glaringly obvious.

All in all, I'm delighted. I can't wait to take it out this weekend and start breaking it in. I think the SR1911 is a lot of pistol for the money.

Now to get a nice holster for it. I suggested that this might be something the Complementary Spouse could get me for my upcoming birthday and she thought it was a great idea.

4 comments:

  1. got mine in january after 9 month gestation... worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get one of Dennis' (Dragon Leatherworks) holsters - they are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ruger guns as they are powerful, beautiful and look sturdy in hands. If you haven't owned this gun ever then I strongly recommend it. Get yourself Class A license and buy this pistol at once.

    Regards,
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete