Recognizing the time to act is now if we are going to stop any new gun control bills, Paul Valone of Grass Roots North Carolina sent out this alert last night. It says we need to meet the threat head-on. It proposes a three-prong approach consisting of contacting NC's Congressional delegation, conducting public education, and reframing the debate. Earlier alerts this week have discussed the ineffectiveness of the Gun-Free School Zone Act.
The alert also gives contact information including phone numbers for the newly elected members of the North Carolina delegation. Given that they took a strongly pro-gun rights stance, it is important to remind them of that.
As we predicted, the battle is on. Dancing in the blood of innocents slaughtered by the federal “Gun Free” School Zones Act, Senator Diane Feinstein finally admitted to “Meet the Press” thatshe will offer a ban on semi-automatic firearms on “the first day” of the new Congress.
“I’m going to introduce in the Senate, and the same bill will be introduced in the House — a bill to ban assault weapons.”
“It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, but prospectively.”
“The purpose of this bill is to get… weapons of war off the streets.”
“Who needs these military-style assault weapons? Who needs an ammunition feeding device capable of holding 100 rounds?” Feinstein wrote on her campaign website.
These weapons are not for hunting deer — they’re for hunting people.”
Moreover, Barack Obama has finally come “out of the closet” on gun control. Says the White House press secretary:
"He is actively supportive of … Sen. [Dianne] Feinstein’s stated intent to revive a piece of legislation that would reinstate the assault weapons ban.”
Meeting the threat
As we have noted before, GRNC is reorienting its resources to meet federal threats. In coming weeks, we will:
- Meet with congressional representatives: In coming weeks, GRNC will meet with US House representatives from North Carolina to give them a little “spine injection.” Feinstein’s bill will likely pass the Senate; stopping it will mean shoring up the House;
- Conduct public education: Today, my column appears in“The Charlotte Observer”in order to get facts to the public. More will follow; and
- Reframe the debate: For ten of the worst years of school shootings, the last so-called “assault weapon” ban failed to make a dent in the problem. What has actually exacerbated such shootings is the 1996 federal “Gun Free School Zones Act,” which announces clearly to predators that victims in schools are disarmed.
Will the NRA Cave?
After five days of silence, the NRA has finally spoken, via an oblique statement in which it says it will “help to make sure this never happens again”. What does that mean? The NRA has previously caved on things like the“Disclose Act,” which would have muzzled gun rights organizations, or the “NICS Improvement Act,” which institutionalized reporting private medical information to the FBI. Whatever the NRA does, GRNC will be at the forefront of defending your rights!
GRNC will need your help!
- Contact North Carolina congressional representatives, particularly our delegation to the US House, using the contact information below;
- Send letters and/or comments to “The Charlotte Observer” in support of my column which advocates arming teachers: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/17/3732608/arm-the-teachers-to-reduce-school.html
- Finally, please consider joining or donating to GRNC: We will be traveling to Washington, DC to meet with congressional representatives, running radio spots and Youtube videos for pub lic education, and doing all sorts of things that cost money. Please help by going to: http://grnc.org/index.php/join-grnc/contribute
Congressional contact information
Senator Richard Burr (R- NC) 202-224-3154 http://burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm
Senator Kay Hagan (D- NC) 202-224-6342 http://www.hagan.senate.gov/contact/
Representative G. K. Butterfield, Jr. (D - 01) 202-225-3101 https://butterfieldforms.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=68§iontree=368
Representative Renee L. Ellmers (R - 02) 202-225-4531 https://ellmersforms.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=58§iontree=358
Representative Walter B. Jones, Jr. (R - 03) 202-225-3415 https://jones.house.gov/contact-me/email-me
Representative David Price (D - 04) 202-225-1784 https://forms.house.gov/price/webforms/contact_form.shtml
Representative Virginia Foxx (R - 05) 202-225-2071 https://virginiafoxx.house.gov/forms/writeyourrep/
Representative Howard Coble (R - 06) 202-225-3065 http://coble.house.gov/contact/zipcheck.htm
Representative Mike McIntyre (D - 07) 202-225-2731 http://mcintyreforms.house.gov/contact/
Representative Patrick McHenry (R - 10) 202-225-2576 http://mchenry.house.gov/contact/zipauth.htm
Representative Mel Watt (D - 12) 202-225-1510 https://forms.house.gov/watt/webforms/zipauthen_contact.shtml
George Holding firstname.lastname@example.orgOffice: 919-755-4083
Mark Meadows email@example.com PHONE: 828.697.5012
Robert Pittenger info@RobertPittenger.com (704) 650-1722
Richard Hudson firstname.lastname@example.org 704-795-2012 Phone
We can stop the freight train rolling toward restrictions on your individual freedoms, but doing so means pulling together. Please keep on eye on future GRNC alerts as we keep you informed on how best to defend your rights.