Monday, November 28, 2016

Reminds Me Of Plinking In My Youth


I saw this YouTube video by Ron Spomer that he released just yesterday. He compares shooting water filled milk jugs with a .375 H&H and a .22-250 Ackley Improved. You have to watch the video to see which cartridge wins.

Shooting water filled milk jugs reminds me of my late teens when my friend Robert and I would go to the range and shoot them with everything from a .22 to a .30-06. The overfilled ones were the best as they reacted more violently when hit by the .30-06 bullet. Call it plinking or call it a penetration test, it just fun.



2 comments:

  1. The overfilled jugs reacted more violently because of "hydrodynamic ram" because there is no ullage mitigating the shock waves ("ullage" the technical term for the void/air space in the top of the container). If you were to look at a projectile going into a stiff-sided container (e.g. a 23mm going into an aircraft fuel tank), you'd also see fluid shooting backwards out of the entry hole as the void created by entry collapses, creating a spurt. FWIW, I know this from doing aircraft vulnerability analysis at a defense contractor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrappy is correct, water is essentially non-compressible. Not really surprised at the results either! :-)

    ReplyDelete