Saturday, February 19, 2011

Debit-Card Fraud

This is a good video about banks and your protection against debit-card fraud. Given that only 44% of banks will make you whole on your losses, it is a good idea to check with your bank to see if they are part of that 44%.

Since I have been the target of identity theft in the past, one tip I would suggest is to make use of your bank's email notification services. For example, I get an email every morning from my bank telling me what my balance is from the previous day. When I was responsible for my late mother's accounts, I had it set up so that I got a low balance notification and a notification for any transaction over a certain dollar amount. This last one would be very useful in providing alerts of unauthorized transactions.


1 comment:

  1. This is the primary reason I use credit, not debit cards. In the event of fraud with a credit card, the bank is out of pocket and has to recover. In the event of fraud with a debit card, I am out of pocket and have to recover. Even if the bank makes me whole, they do not do so instantaneously.

    ReplyDelete