The Democrat will use his amendatory veto power Tuesday to include the ban in a bill related to ammunition sales. It would then be up to lawmakers to accept his changes or reject them.The report states that his proposal faces "big hurdles" noting that other gun control measures have recently failed in the Illinois General Assembly. From a constitutional standpoint, such a law would be on shaky ground as the AR-15 is the highest selling rifle in recent years and should be considered in "common use."
UPDATE: The Illinois State Rifle Association is taking Gov. Quinn's proposal very seriously. The bill he hijacked was a pro-gun bill. They sent out the following early this morning:
GOVERNOR QUINN TEAMS UP WITH MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL TO PROPOSE BILL TO TAX AND BAN YOUR GUNSIf you live in Illinois, now is the time to act. If you have relatives or friends in Illinois, let them know about this attack on their gun rights.
YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
As many of you know, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn today utilized his amendatory veto authority to hijack a pro-gun bill and convert it into a ban on so called assault weapons. Quinn claims that his bill would "...make Illinois a safer place."
Of course, lawful Illinois firearm owners know better. We know that Quinn's true aim is to obliterate private firearm ownership in the state. Closer analysis of Quinn's bill reveals a host of opportunities for Quinn and his buddy Emanuel to make life miserable for the state's lawful firearm owners.
Here is just a partial list of what this bill would do, if passed:
1. Ban the manufacture, possession or sale of nearly every semiautomatic rifle, pistol and shotgun you own.
2. Specifically ban Glock pistols since they share a common design with the Glock 18, a select fire handgun.
3. Require you to register every semiautomatic firearm and every magazine you own that exceeds 10 round capacity. The kicker is that, under Quinn's proposal, the State Police can charge you unlimited fees to register your guns. Thus if Quinn's bill passes, you could very well find yourself paying $100 or even $1,000 per firearm per year to comply with the law. Additionally, you could find yourself paying $50, $100 or even $500 per year for each "high capacity" magazine you own. Can't pay? Well then you would have to surrender your guns to the State Police for destruction.
This is just a taste of what you could expect from Quinn's gun ban. Twists and turns in the bill would certainly open up the doors to taxation, regulation, and outright bans on every civilian owned firearm in the state.
Oh, and one thing is for sure, you can forget about concealed carry if Quinn's gun ban passes.
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS:
1. Call your State Senator ASAP and politely tell him or her that you are a law-abiding Illinois firearm owner and that you expect him or her to vote against Quinn's gun ban should it come up for a vote. If you do not know who your State Senator is, please follow this link:
Illinois Board of Elections District Official/Search:
2. Pass this alert on to all your friends and family who own firearms. Tell them to make calls to the senate as well.
3. Post this alert to any and all Internet blogs or bulletin boards to which you belong.
4. If you're not already a member of the ISRA, then it's time you signed on to protect your gun rights. To join the ISRA, follow this link: www.isra.org/join
5. Make a generous donation to the ISRA today so that we will be able to fight on against gun grabbers like Pat Quinn and Rahm Emanuel: www.isra.org/fight_4_your_rights.