Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Airborne Day - A Day Late




I didn't realize that yesterday was the officially designated National Airborne Day. The first official Army airborne jump was made on August 16, 1940. Thus August 16th was the day was designated by Congress in 2001 to honor those who have or are serving in the US Army Airborne.

So while it is a day late, I'd like to recognize two fellow gun bloggers who served in the 82nd Airborne Division: Kurt Hoffman and Sean Sorrentino. They, much like the Airborne is to the Big Army, are at the forefront of the fight to preserve our Second Amendment rights.

So to them and all the others who served in the various Airborne divisions, brigades, and other such units, thank you for your service.

If I have missed other gun bloggers who are airborne vets, let me know in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. Cool, thanks!

    I had no idea it was Airborne Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a small child I flew unaccompanied minor frequently. One such trip had me sitting next to a fellow who told me a story about nearly being crushed to death by a vehicle that had been airdropped in a training mission. It could have been a pack of gum that fell on his head for all I know but my young imagination transformed his benign story into the greatest adventure known to man, with this young soldier dodging a parachuting tank thrown at him from the heavens by Zeus himself.

    Near the end of this flight the fellow identified himself as a member of the 82nd Airborne and he gave me a beautiful 82nd Airborne medallion that he carved my name in with using the in-flight silverware. Yes! Planes had silverware back then! Unfortunately for me that medallion was stolen from me a few years later and I have not had good luck since. I dont know what happened to that man, but I have prayed for him ever since.

    Fond memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for the Airborne!

    I'm in a coffeehouse right now, and I was just talking with the fellow next to me about how much better military parachuting has gotten since the days of "We're over Europe, jump out now!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to them! More balls than sense... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Company B, 3rd Battalion, 325th Parachute Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division 1973-1975. HooAhh!

    ReplyDelete