Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer's Over; School Begins Again

Tonight my summer comes to a close.

Classes begin for the fall semester today and I begin another school year teaching financial planning and retirement planning. My syllabus is done and printed. I have my first lecture done and have their homework assignment prepared. I don't have new school clothes but I'm a bit old for that anyway!

After teaching the same class for six years, things begin to get a little stale and you find yourself going through the motions at times. That is why I'm glad that they've revamped my intro course to open it up to non-Finance majors. The class title has gone from "Introduction to Financial Planning, Risk Managment, and Insurance" to "Managing (Your) Money for Financial Success."

Instead of just prepping Finance majors to be advisors and planners, I'll be trying to give undergraduates some life skills. It is not that the former isn't important - it is - but getting college students started on the right track financially is more important. I'll be lecturing on things like credit card debt and FICO scores as well as investments and insurance.

The only downside is that I'll be stuck in a officially-mandated by state law gun-free zone. Before it is suggested that I ignore this, under NC General Statutes § 14‑269.2. it is a felony for me to knowingly possess a firearm on campus. The only defense I have is to be in a state of heightened awareness - and to know where to find a fire extinguisher.

2 comments:

  1. One is never totally defenseless with a proper mindset. I work with quite a few folks who face "no carry restrictions". When I enter such a "zone" I carry at least a Tuff Writer pen. The Tuff Writer has cleared TSA inspections too! Worth while investment. I'll be the first to say that I would rather have a gun (or two) on me along with my blades too. But, when restriction prohibit such, I resort to what my Grandmother taught me,,,,WIT,,,,Whatever It Takes.

    A bit unrelated, but I grew up in the country, and I was allowed to take hunting rifles to school, and did so as a student. NEVER did one kid feel threatened or complain. After last bell, we all retrieved our hunting guns from the principle's office in hopes of shooting some table game on the way back home. I say America has changed a bit!

    ReplyDelete