Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ruger SR40 - Update

Steve at The Firearm Blog announces that Ruger is making a .40 S &W version of their SR9. It is called, appropriately enough, the SR40. He does not have specs on it yet but notes that one is being offered for sale on Gunbroker.com.

Ruger SR40 as found on gunbroker.com
It appears to have virtually the same lines as the SR9. I know the SR9 got a lot of grief early on for being recalled but I like mine. It fits my hand well and shoots better than I can. The only modification that I've done to mine is to change the front site to a green fiber optic. I don't know if I'm in the market for the SR40 as I have a couple of .40's already.

Caleb at Gun Nuts Media is very excited about this new pistol. He is currently using a SR9c in his Quest for Master Class series which he likes. Caleb says he plans to do an episode on the SR40 in his Quest for Master Class series after he can get his hands on one. He notes:
I’ve been hoping for an SR40 for a while now; eventually I wanted to make a run at my USPSA GM tag in Limited-10, and with the amount of trigger time I’ve had on the SR9, this is a natural transition.
 UPDATE:  Ruger sent out an announcement e-mail on the SR40 along with its specs. It is also listed on the Ruger website. They have kept the slimness of the SR9 with only a .060" increase in overall width for the SR40. Capacity has dropped by two rounds to 15+1 from 17+1 which is comparable to the difference between a Glock 22 and a Glock 17. Specs are as follows:
  • Caliber: .40 S&W
  • Capacity: 15+1
  • Barrel Length: 4.14"
  • Overall Length: 7.55"
  • Height: 5.52"
  • Width: 1.27"
  • Weight: 27.25 oz.
MRSP is $525.00 which is the same as for the SR9. I'm sure the street price will be much less.

2 comments:

  1. Just saw one at my local gun shop here in KC, this afternoon. Looks as good "live" as in the pictures. I wonder why Ruger has not announced this nor acknowledged the recent release? Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have owned the SR40 since late October. I love this gun. It has minimal recoil. I had to be 475 for it which is less than the suggested retail but more than what many have paid for it. I love it though. It is by far the greatest gun I own. Next stop S&W M&P 9mm.

    ReplyDelete