Saturday, March 30, 2013

Neutrality Through Marksmanship


Greg Hickok - Hickock45 on YouTube - just did an excellent overview of the Swedish M96 Mauser and the 6.5x55 cartridge. This is a rifle and round that I really like. My very first rifle purchased with my C&R license was a Swedish M38 Mauser made by Husqvarna. Over time my collection of Swedish Mausers has expanded to the point where I'm only missing the M94.

Greg goes through some of the history of the M96, compares it side-by-side to the German K98, and then provides some shooting demonstration of the rifle. For those that think the 6.5x55 round is a bit light for big game, it has taken many an "elk" (or moose as we call them) in Sweden.




The title of this post comes from Doug Bowser's excellent guide to all the Swedish Mausers and the Ag/M42 Ljungman. The book which had long been out of stock is now available from Empire Arms. If you have a Swedish Mauser or want one, I can highly recommend this book.

3 comments:

  1. Oh-man! I once passed up getting a Ljungman I saw at a gun-show, my shootin' budddy who was with me knows better and should have been more supportive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need better shooting buddies! Unless we are talking about some newly over-priced AR or AK, I'd never talk someone out of buying a firearm.

      Delete
  2. The first Rifle I bought when I left the Navy was '03 dated Husky. Still have it. The only problem I have with it is the Swedes made that Head Diameter .480 instead of the Mauser Standard .473. If they had stayed in the Family, reloading would be SOOOOO much easier.

    But having said that, it's one of my "Cold Dead Hand" guns.

    ReplyDelete